just...for...today...

March 28, 2012

Facing feelings

Page 90

"We may fear that being in touch with our feelings will trigger an overwhelming chain reaction of pain and panic."

Basic Text, p. 30

While we were using, many of us were unable or unwilling to feel many emotions. If we were happy, we used to make us happier. If we were angry or depressed, we used to mask those feelings. In continuing this pattern throughout our active addiction, we became so emotionally confused that we weren't sure what normal emotions were anymore.

After being in recovery for some time, we find that the emotions we had suppressed suddenly begin to surface. We may find that we do not know how to identify our feelings. What we may be feeling as rage may only be frustration. What we perceive as suicidal depression may simply be sadness. These are the times when we need to seek the assistance of our sponsor or other members of NA. Going to a meeting and talking about what is happening in our lives can help us to face our feelings instead of running from them in fear.

Just for Today: I will not run from the uncomfortable emotions I may experience. I will use the support of my friends in recovery to help me face my emotions.

Copyright (c) 2012, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Thursday, November 10, 2011


Friends ~ 
I have the most amazing friends any girl could ask for. I have a group of girl friends that I have been friends with since elementary and junior high. Even though all of our lives have taken very different paths we stay in touch as much as possible. We can go weeks or even months without talking or seeing each other and then we do talk there is always that familiar voice on the other end of the phone.  I know that I have focused a lot on my recovery from alcohol and drug addiction but, it is a huge part of my life. I really found out who my true friends were after I got out of treatment. The friends that still wanted to hang out with me even though I wasn’t that fun crazy party girl anymore. The friends that called and asked how I was doing and came to see me, those are my real friends. All the people that claimed they were my friends when I was partying were no where to be seen after I got sober. I was really shocked by some of the people that decided our friendship wasn’t anything more than a social party thing. 
My mom told me once that my great grandma used to say “you can judge a person by the friends they have and the books they read,” if this is the case then I am in good shape! 
I am so grateful for all of my many beautiful friends that I have. They are always there for me and I will ALWAYS be there for them no matter what. I wish I could see them more but, I know that sometimes life gets in the way. Lately I hardly have time to hang out with Lils let alone my friends. 


No comments: