just...for...today...

March 28, 2012

Facing feelings

Page 90

"We may fear that being in touch with our feelings will trigger an overwhelming chain reaction of pain and panic."

Basic Text, p. 30

While we were using, many of us were unable or unwilling to feel many emotions. If we were happy, we used to make us happier. If we were angry or depressed, we used to mask those feelings. In continuing this pattern throughout our active addiction, we became so emotionally confused that we weren't sure what normal emotions were anymore.

After being in recovery for some time, we find that the emotions we had suppressed suddenly begin to surface. We may find that we do not know how to identify our feelings. What we may be feeling as rage may only be frustration. What we perceive as suicidal depression may simply be sadness. These are the times when we need to seek the assistance of our sponsor or other members of NA. Going to a meeting and talking about what is happening in our lives can help us to face our feelings instead of running from them in fear.

Just for Today: I will not run from the uncomfortable emotions I may experience. I will use the support of my friends in recovery to help me face my emotions.

Copyright (c) 2012, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Friday, November 11, 2011

Experience


Experience~
When I think about what experience’s I have had and what has impacted me the most the first thing I think about is taking care of Lorene and Hal. About a month after I got sober I started working for a Hospice company and I was so lucky because the first patient that I started taking care of changed my life forever. Her name was Lorene and she was as beautiful as her name. She was kind, and caring, and thoughtful. She was living with her daughter and son-in law and I can say without a doubt in my mind that they are some of the most amazing people I have ever met in my life. 
Lorene taught me so much about love and what is really important in life. The first time I met Hal I could not believe the love that they shared. It was the kind of love you only see a few times in your life. They had lived a wonderful life together and now they were at the point where they had to take care of each other and they both were always there for each other. 
I have always known that I want to be a nurse but, after taking care of Lorene her last six months of her life and taking care of Hal the last week of his life really made me realize that I know that is what I want to do with my life. I know that I want to be the one there for someone when they need it the most. I want to be the person who puts a smile on their face when they are having a hard day. Meeting Lorene really opened my eyes to so many things. She taught me so much and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about her and feel gratitude in my heart that I was lucky enough to know her. 



Lorene and I 


Tim, Cindee, Hal, and Lorenen
(Most Amazing People Ever!!!!)

The experience that I have had in regards to getting sober helps me when people in my life come to me when they are struggling. I know that I can’t fix anyone and I know that I can’t say or do anything to make someone change. What I do know is leading by example is the best way to do anything. The miracles that I have witnessed just within my own family since I got sober still blow me away. My dad just celebrated one year sobriety and my younger brother just got sixty days. In no way do I think that is has everything to do with me getting sober but, I know that having my dad here for me throughout this last year and half has been so AMAZING!!!  There have been times that I have wanted to give up and the thought of letting him down quickly change my train of thoughts. I have never been this happy and I know that this is exactly where I am supposed to be in my life. 


No comments: